Sunday 2 July 2017

June 7th, 8th, 9th

These three days are a blur - averaged 12 hours of driving each day - love driving - gives me a chance to think and work things out in my head - but there can be too much of a good thing, and three days of this is a bit over the top . . .  Got Robert's email, announcing his retirement in January, 2018, and spent one whole reacting to that news!  Partly emotional, partly rational thought:  I always said that when Robert left the Glebe-St. James' Choir, I would leave too.  After all, I stayed only because he came to be organist/choir director.  I had told Julia that we would move to the Unitarian Church (she wanted to go there) and that the only thing which would keep me at GSJ would be if Robert Palmai came to be the organist/choir director.  That was a Saturday - the next day, there was Robert, auditioning for the position!  Julia and I looked at each other and I said "Sorry" and the rest is history!  Now, however, my last tie with Ottawa will be gone -  not that I won't always visit, because there are people here I will always want to see - but since I retired, I've been going back and forth between GSJ in Ottawa and Moody Methodist in Galveston (and the Galveston College Choir) - learning music from both and timing my trips to coincide with concerts and mass choir events.  So that structured commitment will no longer be there - which I guess is kind of freeing.  I`ll have to decide if I want a home base (probably not) and where that would be - closer to my Toronto kids and grandson or closer to Gregory and Anna.
Anyway, I managed to cycle through the emotional stuff while driving and now just need to think rationally about what I want to do - not a decision I`ll make right now!
Rockford, Illinois

Walcott, Iowa

Arby`s at Walcott, Iowa.


Can`t find my photo of  the truck stop near Clearwater, Minnesota - but I was really too tired to care . . . 



Weyburn, Saskatchewan - back in Canada, and just one stop away from Prince Albert!!  Last 12 hoiur driving day - tomorrow, only about four hours.


No comments:

Post a Comment