Saturday 6 June 2015

April 23 - May 14, 2015

Uh oh - I'm way behind on my blog!  Now I have to remember what happened when!!  This period of time was actually very full of activity:  I sang with the Glebe St. James choir for the massed choir event on April 28th - it was really a great experience - although we screwed up one of the songs quite badly, the experience was way more than an individual performance.  It was wonderful to be part of such a gathering of choirs from around the city - got to see what different choirs are doing and check out different directors (Robert is still the best in Ottawa, of course), as well as chat with people from different churches.  I think that the communication is worth every bit of rehearsal and organization (I know - easy for me to say - I didn't do any of the organizing . . . )

During these few weeks, I also finally got to see a performance of the Propellor Dance group, which is such a large part of Jesse Huggett's life.  What a fabulous time that was!  This is a dance group which is comprised of differently-abled people - some in wheelchairs, some with physical, mental, developmental issues - really amazing stuff - extremely artistic and enthousiastic!  Wish I could have taken photos of the performances - but of course, that would be distracting to the dancers (sigh). I also reconnected with Amanda Jette-Knox - who knew that she would be there!  I really want to have coffee with her sometime and catch up properly - such a very, very talented, personable woman!!

On May 4th, I got to see Scott Richardson conduct the Musica Viva Singers - awesome program - combination of contemporary and classical.  Saw a lot of old friends and acquaintances there:  a few women who used to help out with the Ottawa Children's Choir when Gregory and then Julia were part of that group; teachers - notably Eleanor Abbra, who used to supply for me at Laurentian, before getting her own teaching position; former members of the GSJ choir; and Brad, of course.  Lovely evening!

On May 8th, got to a performance of the Canadian Centennial Choir, directed by Marg Stubbington - what a change from the direction of that choir when I was a part of it, 25 years ago!  Thank god they've ditched those awful beige polyester blouses with the ties in front, in favour of some very smart-looking red polo shirts! I remember pulling the tail of that blouse over my Julia-bump - the only woman in the choir to not tuck their blouse into their long black skirt! I loved Marg's choice of music - very, very upbeat and familiar, for the most part.  Awesome harmonies, too!

On May 13th, I attended a Funeral Planning worship at the church - organized by Teresa.  I think I'd like to pursue the idea of a pre-planned, pre-paid funeral arrangement with a funeral home.  Sure would be nice to think of saving my kids all that work and $$$.

Centretown United Church

Musica Viva concert

Stage of Propellor Dance performance

Ramdom fireworks I spotted on the way back from the Propellor performance!


RV show at the Racetrack - a very tempting small Class A and some Cs





No comments:

Post a Comment