Saturday 16 January 2016

January 8th, 2016

The Ice Sculptures today, with Susan!  Last year was the first year for this event at Moody Gardens.  I didn't go then because I figured I've probably seen enough ice sculptures in Ottawa to last me a lifetime - and I heard that the theme was SpongeBob Squarepants, which really didn't excite me at all!  This year, however, I bought a membership to Moody Gardens, and have already seen three 3D movies at the iMax there (Jerusalem, on a park excursion, Wild Ocean and Secret Ocean with Luanne) and I've been to the Aquarium and now the Ice Sculptures.  I'm pretty close to the total of my membership fee, so it was definitely worth it!  I get one free entrance to the Ice Sculptures with my membership - otherwise, the senior fee is $21.95 - a crazy price for this event, although it probably cost a bundle to import sculptors from China to carve the pieces, and they need to recoup that cost. My expectations were already low, but this event went even lower, in my estimation! The sculptures are in one big tent, about the size of half a football field, which is kept at 9 F.  At the entrance, parkas are handed out.  I wore my winter coat, scarf, and gloves - but I put the parka on over my coat, just to be sure.  What a mistake! I sweltered!  The "sculptures" were, for the most part, blocks of ice in various colours - apparently, everything was very accurately SpongeBob Squarepants - correct colours, shapes, etc.  Not a lot of "sculpting" necessary here!  Oh well, I'm glad I got to see them and even gladder that I didn't have to fork over any cash for that privilege!
We were treated to an awe-inspiring sky on the way home, on the seawall!
I downloaded some pics from Confederation Park in Ottawa, just for comparison . . .

 I don't know the names of any of the characters - except the main one, of course.







 Susan, on the deck of the pirate ship

Me, same place.



The ice slide - I'm afraid that this is fake - just a pose to look like I was actually crazy enough to slide down . . .

Susan again

. . . and me in the ice cafe






Amazing sky - much better than my camera could capture!

Confederation Park ice sculptures, Ottawa








No comments:

Post a Comment