Monday 11 November 2013

Monday, November 11, 2013

Wasn't sure if I was going to travel today - a bit weary of driving all the time - but the confirmation for my reservation at Grand Canyon Camper Village came through around 9:00 a.m., so I decided to soldier on.  I really did want to be in the Grand Canyon by Monday, although I felt very strange to be driving on Remembrance Day. 
On the way to Tusayan,40 miles east of Flagstaff, I stopped off at Meteor Crater - the site of a meteor which crashed to the earth about 50,000 years ago - apparently the most well-preserved crater in the world!!
Meteor Crater

                                                  From the steps around the rim of the Crater

                                               Looking from the touristy stairs out over the desert.

                                        Looking over the information centre at Meteor Crater.

                                                        The Crater itself.

I left the crater and drove another couple of hours to Tusayan, to the Grand Canyon Camper Village.  Booked in at 3:00 p.m. and the wonderful lady at the desk said that I should go the 1 MILE! to the Grand Canyon park and watch the sunset - so I drove my rv that one mile, parked at the Visitor's Centre and walked around, took in an interpretive movie, bought a sandwich, and went up to the rim walk again.  I t was getting chilly - many people were wearing winter coats, hats, and mitts - not me, though - just a thin sweater over a t-shirt.  The wind was pretty strong, but I ate my dinner and took lots of pictures with my iPad and my cell phone.  What an amazing place - tomorrow I'll go there in the morning and stay the day, just sopping in the magnificence!

                                               . . . the Grand Canyon!!

                                           Another view

                                         The walk around the south rim - even the walk is picturesque!
                                       I stayed as the sun set and moved up the rocks.
                                            Just a band of gold left on this peak.

                                         
                                                   Awesome view!!
                     The camera just doesn't do justice to the colours of the setting sun - but still gorgeous!
                                                    Setting sun.

                                                  Before sunset - from my iPad


                                   The walkway around the rim - lots of trees and benches!
                                                      Shadows creeping up . . .

                                                                       
                                                 From the railing of the walkway.
                                                Straight down!
                                               Great perspective!

                                                  Cool tree, eh?


                                                 Yep - I was really there!


                                                 Even the picnic area is cool.


1 comment:

  1. The meteor crater is mind boggling. Photos never do it justice, it's just so darn massive.
    --Bob

    ReplyDelete