Thursday 17 July 2014

May 18th & 19th, 2014

I really wanted to get to Sudbury for tonight, but that was totally unrealistic.  I started around the top of Lake Superior and stopped in Thunder Bay - almost went to the high school to see if Rowan Seymour was really there, but time was against me. I stopped for gas and was appalled at the price - $4.10 per litre!!! I was also very surprised at the town - mind you, I didn't drive around it very much - but what I saw was extremely poor and rundown and downright depressing.  I should probably come back sometime and stay for a few days, just to get a fairer look. Wanting to get out of there,  I drove to the Terry Fox monument just on the edge of Thunder Bay, overlooking Lake Superior and the Sleeping Giant rock/island formation. That was impressive - and a breathtaking view of Lake Superior!
From Thunder Bay, I drove to Wawa, where I stopped at the Visitor's Centre and looked at the giant goose for which Wawa is famous - thought there was just the one, but started seeing others as I drove through the town! Another place that might be worth revisiting another time.
So . . .  my fantasy was to get all the way around the top of Lake Superior and stop in Sudbury - but as the day went on, I realized that that just wasn't going to happen.  I started looking for a place to spend the night around 3:00 p.m., thinking that there might be an ad on my GPS - but nothing. As the Arrogant Worms' song says, it was pretty much rocks and trees and trees and rocks and . . .  water.  I really didn't want to pull over into the forest and camp overnight - especially after seeing five black bears - individually, over a period of about half an hour.  I've heard stories of the damage bears can do to an rv, especially if they smell something tasty inside.  With fridge and cupboards full, I figured I must smell like a big bear smorgasbord . . .
So . . . I finally got out of forest and into the tiny village of Iron Bridge - still no campgrounds anywhere - not even a Walmart - so, in desperation, I stopped at a motel, parked my rv across from the door to my room, had dinner in their little restaurant, and settled down to watch tv (a rare entertainment, since I don't have a tv in my rv).  At 10:00 p.m., I suddenly fell violently ill, with explosions out of both ends of my body!  Eeuuww - what an absolutely horrible night!  The next morning was pretty bad, and I definitely couldn't get behind the wheel - could hardly leave the bathroom, actually - so I stayed another night.  I really thought I had food poisoning - talked to the owner about what I'd eaten in his restaurant the night before - he was a bit pissed, but came by after a few hours to tell me that his assistant had eaten exactly what I'd eaten, with no ill results.  Maybe it was a weird, fast-acting virus - guess I'll never know!  I was glad to finally drive out of town, a day later than planned.  This will take time off my visit in St. Thomas, damn it!

Terry Fox monument on the outskirts of Thunder Bay

The Sleeping Giant




Trees and rocks and rocks and trees and trees

and rocks and rocks and trees and . . . water.

Wawa, Ontario - home of the giant goose

And there he is!



And I thought there was only one giant goose in Wawa!

Another goose!

Iron Bridge, Ontario -  not good memories . . . 

Office and restaurant of the motel. Yuck!

No comments:

Post a Comment