Wednesday 21 November 2012

Sunday, November 18th 2012:  Went to Moody Memorial First United Methodist Church this morning - they all just call it "Moody Methodist".  I had researched it months ago and found it to be a huge plant with tons of community activities taking place in the building - and a very well renowned organ and choir director. Well, the organ is great . . .  but the choir director left in a hurry (I'm sure I'll find out the story sometime) and so they're "between directors" right now - and there were 14 people in the choir!  I expected a very large, very accomplished group - but oh well. I talked to one of the choir members after church and she lent me a pile of music, told me that there's no practice this week because of Thanksgiving (against the very laws of the universe, their practices are Wednesday, not the universally-recognized Thursday), but that I am welcome to sing with the choir next Sunday, as long as I come at 10:15 to practise for the 11:00 service. They (We) are singing "Lift Thine Eyes to the Mountains" from Elijah - SSA - I emailed the organist and temporary director and in her weekly email to the whole choir she welcomed me for Sunday - gee, I hope they don't regret that one!  I gather that the anthems for the next month or so will be taken from "The Promise of Light", a Christmas musical by Joel Raney - I was given the music for that, too.  Also, the choir member lent me a copy of "Carols for Choirs 1" - we're going to be singing "The Holly and the Ivy" - sometime.  Apparently, one of the sopranos is switching to alto, and another one is leaving - and I think I counted three singing this morning - hope I'm wrong - but I can see why they're so happy to welcome a soprano!

I spent the afternoon just driving aimlessly around - saw a lot of miscellaneous stuff - not really any photo ops, though. Except for the one below, which I also put on Facebook.  I think I'll wait until I see a vehicle parked, and then I'll go knock on the door and see who - or what - answers . . .




Straight out of Hobbiton - and just a few miles down the road from my RV park.












No comments:

Post a Comment