Tuesday 4 November 2014

November 1st - 3rd

Crossing the border is different every time!   This time, the border guard reminded me, when I said I would be in the states for six months, that I could spend only 180 days in the states during a year - and that included any other visits I might make at any other time.  I assured him that I was aware of this regulation . .  had to hand over a bag of oranges, though - felt like a real idiot - I know perfectly well that oranges aren't allowed across the border - just totally forgot about the bag in my fridge!
My first night was spent in the Sauder RV park in Archbold, Ohio.  There's a pioneer village there, but it had just closed for the winter.  However, there's also a big hotel with a hot tub and indoor swimming pool available for campgrounders as well as hotelers - so I had a great swim and soak!  I arranged to meet Virginia in Hanover, Indiana for lunch on Monday, but couldn't find an rv park open anywhere near there.  In fact, the Sauder park was officially closed Sunday - they made a special exception and let me stay Sunday night. Monday morning I got up at 6:00 a.m. and got myself behind the wheel by 6:45 for the five hour drive to Hanover.  Made it there at 11:50, just in time to meet Virginia and her daughter Lori. I parked in the parking lot of a nearby park (that's a lot of parks) and was walking to her house when she drove by and picked me up.  That morning, she had gotten the call that Harvey's memorial tombstone was finally set up - so I got to go with them for their first viewing of it!  It was great to see Virginia and to meet Lori - Virginia and I went to the Ponderosa for lunch - yummy buffet - and then she showed me the sights of Hanover and Madison. I also got to see the church she attends and where Harvey's funeral was held - and I got to meet the pastor and his wife. It was hard to leave, but Virginia seemed to be really happy that I had come.

Sauder campground

Canada Geese on man-made pond in Sauder Park.  

Parts of Pioneer Village in the background


Lori at her dad's graveside

Virginia



Virginia's church - kids rehearsing the Christmas play

Front door of the church

Sign in front of the church - notice the surrounding countryside!  Awesome location


The church's school, next door - K to 12!

No comments:

Post a Comment