Tuesday 4 November 2014

September 26 - 28 Quilting Retreat!

Finally - Patchwork Pilgrimage Time!  Every year, Glebe St. James' quilters - and wannabees - drive up to beautiful Gracefield camp to stay in two cottages, relax, swim, meditate and do yoga, eat great food and enjoy great company, and quilt. (I also got to meet Teresa and June, the new minister and her partner, which was awesome since I'll be leaving before her first Sunday) The weekend always produces many baby quilts for St. Mary's Home - and Judy and Chris teach one particular skill, too.  This year, it was Disappearing Pinwheels! My product I decided to turn into a quilt bag - I've always envied and coveted the bags everyone else seems to have, products of a previous year - so, with lots and lots of help from Judy, I made myself one.  It's unique, since one side is a "failed" pinwheel (Judy calls it a "feature") and the bag itself defies normal dimensions - but it's mine and I love it - and I made it myself!!!!  I finished it after the weekend, on Mondays - and an extra Wednesday with Judy, two days before leaving!

Terrace of the restaurant in Gracefield where Rachel and I had lunch on our drive to the retreat.



Exteriior of the restaurant!

Colleen getting out of the water via the stairs

From Beaver Lodge looking out on the lake!

Path in front of the main house, looking towards the lake and other cottage.


Birdhouse outside Beaver Lodge

The back of Beaver Lodge, showing the sunroom

Busy quilters finding material from Judy and Chris' stashes

Judy sitting down

Show and tell time!!


Amazing quilt - looks like window frames - made in this woman's Arizona quilters' club

Chris showing her binder cover!





Theresa, the new minister, wearing her stole with children's handprints on it

As Judy said, I guess we won't make Theresa a stole as a welcome present!


Just after Sunday church service in the outdoor chapel

Marisa tying off a baby quilt

Margaret finishing off another baby quilt

Teresa working on one of her stoles


One of the most important people there!

Karen finishing off her bag

Rachel, hard at work on the border of the painting on canvas which she painted during a church service

This now hangs at the back of the choir loft, front and centre from the congregation's viewpoint

Nancy and friend -she says she came to the weekend in order to get the quilted nametag . . . 

Ambience - from the main house
Inside my bag

The successful pinwheel

The unique pinwheel

No comments:

Post a Comment