Thursday 6 November 2014

November 5th & 6th

I arrived and set up camp at Two Rivers Campground on Wednesday - spent the rest of the day just hanging out, reading brochures, playing in my iPad . . . Useful stuff like that! Today (Thursday), I sorted out coupons, looked at maps, and more or less planned out what I want to do in Nashville. I got tickets electronically for a Grand Ole Opry performance Saturday night, so that's nailed down. Around 11:00, I consulted the office staff (very helpful) about distances. I had decided to see stuff within walking distance today, and had the office book me on a tour of the city starting at 1:30 tomorrow afternoon. I walked a mile and a half down Music Drive to the Willie Nelson Museum - a tiny bunch of displays, with a very entertaining video of Willie and other country singers reminiscing in Tootsie's Orchid Lounge, a bar in Nashville where country singers (unknowns then; stars now) went to carouse and write songs. Loved watching that! The museum is in the back of the building; the front of the building is basically a souvenir shop - yes, tacky - but I am a tourist, after all . . .  I walked past a few hotels and stopped for lunch at a Cracker Barrel - finally - have been wanting ti visit one for two years! I thought it was just another fast food restaurant, but it's actually a country store - yes, with lots of souvenirs, but also clothes, lotions and potions, Christmas decorations - and a restaurant where I had turkey with all the trimmings for $4.70. Actually decent quality, too! I walked back towards the campground, but it had turned windy and my back was hurting and I was starting to feel a bit shaky, so I stopped at a hotel and called a cab - cost me $4.85 to get driven back to the campground. I was very, very pleased to have lasted so long - a few months ago, I wouldn't have even contemplated doing all that walking - but thanks to the chiropractor, my knees and feet and back held out remarkably - in fact, I still have no pain at all in my knee - just the lower back, and that's not very bad, either. Augurs well for the rest of this trip!
My Nashville campground

Fence around the Opryland Hotel grounds


Willie Nelson Museum


Inside the Museum



The Man himself!


The store part


Inside Cracker Barrel restaurant


The country store part

Entrance to Cracker Barrel


Ending the day with Mike's Margarita, bought in the campground store/ (Notice my awesome quilt bag in the background . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment