Wednesday 16 April 2014

April 16th

Well, here I am in the Leisure Mountain RV Park in Albuquerque, New Mexico!  I left Wichita Falls at 8:45 a.m. and got here at 5:30 p.m. but I lost an hour somewhere, so it actually took me pretty much the 7 1/2 hours it was supposed to.  A great trip - I enjoyed driving on not-so-major highways for once - got to go through a lot of little towns and see lots of trees and hills and bush.  My head was full of stuff to ponder - and I kept singing parts of the Dubois while driving. I wasn't bored, although a lot of the landscape was the same - just enjoyed driving and thinking.  I saw my first sagebrush - well, it was pretty small - about the size of a basketball - but still - sagebrush blowing across the highway! Also saw my first sandstorm (on this continent, anyway) - it was a reddish haze hanging over the land on both sides of the highway, although it didn't touch the highway itself - no decrease in visibility at all.  At one point, I saw a number of little dust tornadoes, just starting up from the ground, travelling for a bit, then dissipating.  Very cool!!
The campsite here is gravel, and there's maybe ten feet between my window and the window of the rv next door! People are great, though - and they have a 14 year old poodle who is very cute. And - I have wifi - yay!!

Scene from the driver's seat

Rest area - New Mexico


My home!

Amazingly good shots taken by holding my iPad up to the window by my shoulder and hoping that there was something in the frame!


2 comments:

  1. Hi Joyce! Those little tornado clouds are dirt devils, and they can get very tall!! A little unnerving when you are watching them from the back of a motorcycle!!
    Be sure to take in the Old Town
    Micheline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah - I found that out on a tour bus in Las Vegas, when the tour guide pointed out a few dirt devils close to the road! I'm afraid that I had virtually no time in Albuquerque - was beetling off to my reservation in Vegas! Sigh . . . Next time, maybe!

    ReplyDelete