Friday 25 April 2014

Thursday, April 24th, 2014

On Wednesday I finally left Las Vegas and travelled north to St. George RV Park near Zion National Park.  The drive was beautiful - lots of rocky hills - maybe small mountains - I drove through three states and changed time zones twice.  I'm so confused - who knows what the time is in Ottawa?  The campground I found in my Passport America book from 2013, but it's now a KOA, so instead of costing $17.50. it cost $41 - ouch!  Also no wifi - they took $3 off because of that, then added tax . . . KOA just took this park over in February, so the staff is trying to cope.  Pretty venue - gravel sites - stunning backdrop! I didn't get to Zion National Park at all - I had misjudged the distance from the park and the complete lack of transportation - didn't want to drive my motorhome there.  Also, time is a little more constrictive, since I spent two extra days at the Las Vegas park. The people here told me that the wind was absolutely brutal yesterday, though, so I'm glad I decided not to drive then.

Cool cactus-y plant in the park.

Just down from my rv

Across the street from the park



From inside the park

Rose growing along the path to the pool

Swimming pool - very small and full of children . . . 

Ruins dating back to Brigham Young era


My site!


Got up Thursday to drive to Bryce Canyon - quite spectacular scenery all around me - and two hours of winding two lane roads through the  mountains.  It wasn't exactly hairy, but very difficult to look at the scenery and stay on the road at the same time.  I chose staying on the road, so missed a lot - but I'm alive.
Yep - that's ice - I'd almost forgotten . . . 

Red Rock Canyon

Natural tunnel formed by the rock

And a second one!
 When I got to the Bryce Canyon RV Park, I was surprised to see the kind of setup which surrounds the entrance to the Grand Canyon - tourist shops, a shuttle system to the canyon (not running now, though - just in the summer) - and lots of maps indicating particular lookouts.  I registered and then drove the road winding up to the highest point - Rainbow Peak.  It was all quite extraordinary - I had no idea what an amazing place Bryce Canyon is!

All breathtaking scenery!!








Yep - snow




Hmmm - lightning storms????



Yes - I was there!

No comments:

Post a Comment