Monday 28 April 2014

Monday, April 28th, 2014

Crazy day today! I got up, unhooked, drove out of Salt Lake City towards my destination for tonight - the Grand Tetons - and the Tetonia RV park in particular. I think I've decided that I really don't like mountains very much.  They're incredibly beautiful to look at - and smaller ones - like Bryce Canyon, seen from the top - are fun for awhile - but they just sort of loom over one.  When I drove the Rockies - Banf to Jasper - years ago - I could only stand them for a week and then had to get out of there!  When I visited the Grand Canyon last fall, I had intended to stay for a week, but only lasted 5 days.  I looked at the Grand Tetons with their snow-covered peaks as I was driving along and was filled with dread - weird! Also, I think I react to altitude - in Zion, I started feeling really headachey, pressure on the ears and sinuses. and out of breath.  In Bryce Canyon, this was a whole lot worse - really had trouble catching my breath when walking more than about ten steps - and the same in Salt Lake City.  It's supposed to take 3 or 4 days to adjust to a different altitude, but I've been changing altitudes every day.  It's a lot better now, but I'm at 52 feet!
So - I got to Tetonia and discovered that the RV park is closed - they don't open until May - so I checked the map and consulted my Good Sam book and found an open park in Idaho Falls, an hour back down the highway.  In talking to the owner, I discovered that I am going to have to radically change my route to Calgary! Tomorrow I had planned to see Old Faithful, then go to a park close to the Montana border, then the next day CutBank, Montana, then Calgary. However, the area around Old Faithful is buried under 6 or 7 feet of snow, some roads are closed, and no campgrounds are open yet - or stores, etc.! It looks like Yellowstone - and CutBank - are places to visit another year - and another season! Damn!  I will probably take I-15 all the way to Alberta and just hope to avoid snow and ice as much as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment