Tuesday 8 April 2014

April 8, 2014

Life is getting busy - trying to get a few things done before leaving this beautiful island once again! I'm trying to downsize - again - so that when I stop, I won't have to get many things out - and so that things I need are readily available to me.  Drove my rig to choir practice last Wednesday, and discovered a flat tire (well, deflated, not completely flat) when I got home. Rick, an experienced rver here in the park, as well as a mechanic, took a look at it on Friday, pumped it up with his compressor, and we both heard the hissing as the air leaked out pretty rapidly.  Rick told me that my stems are all rubber, which deteriorates over time (when I got new tires put on in October, they really should have replaced the rubber with steel) and that the problem was right at the valve, and probably was cracked rubber in the stem. I took it in to Steve's Tires on Saturday and told them to replace all the stems with steel ones.  Stupidly, I didn't check before I left the shop, got home and discovered that the stems were all still rubber and that the extensions on the back wheels had disappeared, making it impossible for me to check the air pressure or put air in the tires!  Monday morning I went back to Steve's, and the owner said that he had told the worker to put steel on - but the worker told me that he had been told to put on rubber.  A miscommunication, since the worker is Spanish with a fair grasp of English. Anyway, he put the steel stems on and put the extensions back, and the owner apologized profusely, so I guess all's well that ends well.  Lesson learned - always check that the job has actually been done right, before leaving.
This Thursday, I'm taking my rig in to Dues, an rv repair shop in Dickinson (about 40 minutes away) to replace the propane gas protector, have the oil changed, and replace the handle on the black tank, which has been broken for about a year (I've been opening and closing it with pliers . . .). 
 On Friday, I'm renting a car, so that I can easily attend the Saturday rehearsal with orchestra for our choir's Palm Sunday performance of "The Seven Last Words of Christ" by Theodore Dubois.  Also, I just want to be able to pick up last minute items I'll need for the trip - and if I can find time, I'd like to finally get out to NASA. There's a special $9.99 a day weekend rental offer from Enterprise that I'm taking advantage of.
I've spent some time planning the trip back to Canada, and have the bare bones mapped out.  It looks like I'll be in Las Vegas for Easter weekend, which could be interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment